Collection Care (Conservation)
Fixed-Term (13 Months)
£27,586 per annum
Application Deadline: midday on Friday 25th September 2020
The British Museum is seeking a Preventive Conservator to join the Collection Care (Conservation) department. The main purpose of this role is to care for the collection through preventive conservation measures in support of the museum's operating plan, and to contribute to public outreach activities. This role requires the post holder to have specialist knowledge and experience in the area of preventive conservation.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- To contribute to the preventive conservation of collections made of a wide range of organic and inorganic materials.
- To work collaboratively with colleagues within the department and across the museum.
- To contribute to the development of new preventive or interventive measures.
- To contribute to the care of the collection through dedicated projects on collections in store.
- To assist with the care of the collection through documentation, surveys, data collection, analysis, and support at public events.
- To assist with the care of the collection through advice on and training in best practice.
- To assist with the development of ideas for potential funding bids.
- To contribute to conservation science related activities
- To contribute to the department's outreach and training activities through public speaking and publishing.
- To act as an advocate for the museum.
- Recognised professional conservation qualification to degree level or equivalent, with emphasis on preventive conservation.
- Previous employment with the heritage sector (e.g. museum, gallery, library, archive sector)
- Demonstrable practical conservation skills, understanding of mechanisms involved in material deterioration, and sound knowledge of contemporary principles and practice in preventive conservation.
- Involvement in display and storage related activities, understanding of conservation theory and ethical decision making alongside knowledge on health and safety, and IT systems.
- Experience of multi-tasking, delivering set objectives on time and to budget and can effectively solve problems and make decisions.
- An effective communicator, both spoken and written, who can work collaboratively in a team, comfortably present work publically, and negotiate and influence skilfully.
To apply, please go to: https://bmrecruit.ciphr-irecruit.com//templates/CIPHR/jobdetail_3231.aspx