Bow Street Police Museum is a new independent museum opening this summer, celebrating the history of the Bow Street Runners and telling the story of London’s first police station and the officers who worked in the building. The Museum is located in the former police station and Magistrate’s Court on Bow Street in Covent Garden. The building has been acquired by the Sydell Group and will open as a high-end hotel. The Museum will run as an independent Trust that will eventually be expected to be self-sufficient, but will be supported by the Sydell Group at the start.
Reporting to the Museum Trustee& the Hotel General Manager, the museum manager will be hands on, operational, have previous experience in managing a team (including museum assistants& volunteers), fund-raising and events management.
• Be a keyholder and oversee the overall operation of the museum.
• Drive and develop the Museum’s strategic direction, including securing its funding.
• Overseeing conversation& curatorial duties; liaise with the Metropolitan Police Heritage Service regarding loans and updating content
• Liaise with the media, Trustees and partners in raising the Museum’s marketing profile
• Oversee& assist with events taking place within the museum
Drive and develop the Museum’s strategic direction
• Set and review funding priorities, determining what is required to operate the Museum.
• Work with the Trustees to develop and implement a business plan.
Secure grant funding for future
• Lead on funding applications to support Museum’s operation. Develop its retail offer.
Liaison, relationship maintenance& reputation building
• Act as the main point of liaison with hotel (Sydell) staff regarding the lease& other legal requirements.
• Ensure high standards in the maintenance of exhibitions& displays.
• Manage the Museum staff/volunteer team.
Building Manager responsibilities
• Take responsibility for all aspects of the museum’s management& operation, including managing staff/volunteer rotas.
To apply, please send a cover letter together with your CV.