MENG is seeking a writer to work with the founder of the company to develop a memoir, using personal anecdotes to illustrate deeper historical, psychological, social and philosophical meanings.
About the Role:
A demonstrable interest in psychology would be helpful. To understand and communicate human emotions is vital. Most important is the ability to capture the nuances of personal feelings and transform personal experiences into balanced, well-informed and readable prose.
You will be:
• Carrying out interviews to gather stories, spotting the strongest stories and presenting/summarising them.
• Working with the founder to shape the stories and the structure of the book.
• Carrying out research in the subject area of behavioural science and psychology; briefing the founder.
• Working in collaboration with other writers where necessary.
• Strong editorial judgement and a proven track record of spotting and shaping stories.
• The ability to write non-fiction (in English) in a clear and compelling way, weaving fact with storytelling.
• An understanding of how to create emotional engagement between the subject and the reader.
• Experience of carrying out interviews in a sensitive manner to elicit personal stories.
• The curiosity and analytical skills to draw deeper insights from everyday stories and events.
• A proven ability to learn about complex topics quickly and self-sufficiently.
• The flexibility to shift focus and pursue new ideas when needed.
This is an initial 6-month contract with the potential to review. There is room for working flexibly, from 3.5 days a week to 5 days a week. Some work can be done remotely, though you must be able to attend frequent meetings in London. The salary is based on experience.
To Apply: Please send your CV and a covering letter, detailing why you believe you would be a strong fit for the role, by email to email@example.com.